Project Aphelion is a mix of a traditional roleplaying game, a 4X board game, and a tactical strategy designed to deliver a deep, intricate ruleset that works with the players, not against them.
What do we mean by this?
- In Project Aphelion you’ll find the character- and narrative-driven gameplay experience that you’re expecting from a tabletop roleplaying game.
- It introduces elements of board games like resource pools and action cards.
- It embraces the tactical approach of strategy games: it rewards creativity, co-operation, teamwork, players’ agency, long-term planning, exploration, and problem solving.
- It lets you run a solo game or as a classic party, with our without a Game Master – or even as a grand strategy game, known from games like Stellaris. There are no limits to your creativity – and the game rules have your back, no matter what.
The rules do away with the archaic traditional design and replace it with an easy to learn, deep ruleset lending itself to building games on any level of complexity without getting in the way of roleplaying and smooth, intuitive gameplay.
What can the players do?
Take control of a small, independent spaceship crew and build it up into traders, mercenaries, rangers, freebooters, or explorers. Form your fleets and corporations and control the actions of dozens of crews as you build your reputation and wealth among the stars.
The game supports multidimensional play: from a character point of view, through space fleet action, all the way up to mass-scale strategy and political intrigue.
The absolute basics, please!
The absolute basics take 8 pages, and we really didn’t try to squeeze them in. Read that and you’ll know enough to start the adventure!
As the game is currently in development, and the layout is not finalized, please disregard the page references in the text. We will make them correct in the final project.
What else is there?
- Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-style procedural character creation.
- Procedural generation of scenarios and campaigns.
- Behavioral patterns for NPCs and factions, allowing for realistic interactions with the world.
- Building your own faction, your spaceship and fleets, research labs, and mercenary companies.
- Algorithms letting you run the game without the GM and without GM’s discretion.
- Complex and easy to use rules for doing whatever-you-wish in the Solar System: from standard mercenaries to touring folk metal bands to research ships to space tow-truckers. We got you covered with rules for research, crafting, social play, stealth, hacking, combat, heists, and exploration!
- Modular mechanics allowing you to zoom in and zoom out, adjusting the complexity of the game and rules on the go. Do you like tactical combat but don’t feel like running trade negotiations? Do you want to track details of your faction projects but would rather handwave all the fighting? Fancy some asteroid hopping but not keen on tracking your spaceship fuel expenditure? Well, the rules are basically à la carte – you can switch from narrative to simulationist mechanics and back without any hassle and focus on the style of gameplay you like the most.
- And many, many more!